fbpx

Warning to Campers Following Death

Campers are again being warned of the dangers of using barbecues in tents after a teenager was killed by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. The death in Shropshire comes after two similar tragic deaths at Hampshire campsites within the past year.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has issued advice reminding campers how dangerous any item burning fossil fuels can be.

Detectives are investigating what killed the 14-year-old, whose brother and parents are still ill in hospital, but a disposable barbecue was reportedly discovered in the porch of their tent.

Last month, six-year-old Isabelle Harris, from Gosport, died suddenly at the Holmsley campsite near Bransgore. One theory police are working on is that she was poisoned by carbon monoxide from a barbecue.

The youngster’s devastated parents discovered her lying unresponsive in their tent, and she later died at Southampton General Hospital.

Last July, 50-year-old Vincent Clare, from Milton Keynes, died from carbon monoxide poisoning after using a gas-powered barbecue to warm the tent he and wife Alison were staying in at Red Shoot Camping Park, near Ringwood.

A RoSPA spokesman said: “The burning of all fossil fuels produces carbon monoxide (CO). There have been deaths and serious injuries from CO poisoning in both tents and caravans. People should never use stoves or disposable barbecues for either cooking or warmth in an enclosed space with poor ventilation. Caravanners should have gas-powered appliances serviced annually and should consider using an audible carbon monoxide alarm inside their caravan.”

In addition, the spokesman added: “We also advise people not to take barbecues into their tents, even if they are cooling down.”

Source: Daily Echo May 2012

May 14, 2012 | Categories: News |
Share this page:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Linkedin
For further information call Lighthouse: 01634 260 631 or email: info@lighthousesafety.co.uk

Accreditations & Certifications

Membership