Unavoidable Gas Deaths lead to Arrests

Simple gas installation procedures and tests may have prevented the arrest of two men following the deaths of two teenagers from carbon monoxide poisoning.

It is understood Coleraine gas fitter George Brown was one of the men being interviewed.

Both men – who are aged 49 and 40 – were arrested earlier this month by detectives investigating the deaths but have since been released, however a report on them is now being sent to the Public Prosecution Service.

Aaron Davidson and Neil McFerran, both 18, from Newtownabbey died at a holiday apartment in Castlerock last August. The teenagers had been staying at the apartment near Coleraine with a third friend, Matthew Gaw, who survived. The three friends were found by relatives.

Following the deaths the Health and Safety Executive launched an investigation into a carbon monoxide leak from a faulty appliance in the flat.

All gas installations and maintenance must now be conducted by Gas Safe registered engineers to ensure that any gas appliance is safe for use. Landlords have a legal duty to ensure that this is completed on behalf of their tenants.

Additionally Carbon Monoxide detectors should be considered as an early warning system. They are cheap and an effective way of detecting any leak. Many battery powered models are available for less than £20 and save lives.

April 27, 2011 | Categories: Lighthouse Blog |
Share this page:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Linkedin
For further information call Lighthouse: 01634 260 631 or email: info@lighthousesafety.co.uk

Accreditations & Certifications

Membership